Roberto Ferrari from Androni team won a sprint finish on stage 11 of the Giro d’Italia. The Italian was punished for irregular sprinting on stage three after causing a crash that brought down several riders in the final stretch.
Italy’s Francesco Chicchi was second just ahead of Lithuanian Tomas Vaitkus while world champion Mark Cavendish finished fourth after he was held up 400m from the line due to a crash on the final bend. The Brit, who was one of the victims during the crash on stage three, couldn’t match the sprint of 29-year-old Ferrari.
overall leader Joaquim Rodriguez retained the pink jersey after the 258km stage, the longest in this year’s race.
The stage lasted just under seven hours and a group of five riders – Oliver Kaisen, Mickael Delage, Manuele Boaro, Stefan Denifl and Adrien Saez – broke away around the 10km mark, a break which lasted until the final kilometres.
Today’s 12th stage is 155km from Seravezza to Sestri Levante and includes one category two and two category three climbs, the last of which comes 11km from the finish line.
Stage 11 Results
1. Roberto Ferrari (ITA/AND)
2. Francesco Chicchi (ITA/OPQ)
3. Tomas Vaitkus (LTU/GEC)
4. Mark Cavendish (GBR/SKY)
5. Manuel Belletti (ITA/ALM)
6. Giacomo Nizzolo (ITA/RSH)
7. Daniel Schorn (AUT/APP)
8. Arnaud Demare (FRA/FDJ)
9. Danilo Wyss (SUI/BMC)
10. Geoffrey Soupe (FRA/FDJ)
1. Joaquin Rodriguez (ESP/KAT) 47hr 16min 39sec
2. Ryder Hesjedal (CAN/GRM) +17
3. Paolo Tiralongo (ITA/AST) +32
4. Roman Kreuziger (CZE/AST) +52
5. Benat Intxausti (ESP/MOV) +52
6. Ivan Basso (ITA/LIQ) +57
7. Damiano Caruso (ITA/LIQ) +1:02
8. Dario Cataldo (ITA/OPQ) +1:03
9. Eros Capecchi (ITA/LIQ) +1:09
10. Rigoberto Uran (COL/SKY) +1:10