Swiss legend and five-time winner of the Absa Cape Epic, Christoph Sauser, shared key advice for riders taking on the Epic for their first time.
1. Be Physically Prepared. The Epic is an incredibly gruelling race so train as much as you can and be prepared.
2. Gain knowledge and absorb every piece of advice from experienced riders, they’ve been there so listen to their tips.
3. Brush up on your mechanical knowledge prior to the race. A mechanical on the side of the road can make or break your race. Knowing how to fix it is key.
4. Get mentally tough – you can be as strong as you like, but your mindset will ultimately pull you through.
5. Be organised! Start the week before and pack smartly, you don’t want to wake up on race morning realising that you’ve forgotten something vital.
6. Don’t be shy to make friends along the way, have fun and make the race a great experience.