The Ultimate Guide To Guilt-Free Pastries

Here’s the perfect excuse to have your pastry treat and eat it.

Andre Valentine |

Pastries taste great, especially with coffee. But because of their negative impact on weight loss, they are more of a guilty pleasure than a dietary staple. But dietician Megan Pentz Kluyts says it’s not all bad, and the key to incorporating pastries into your diet is control, and watching portion size. As a secret pastry chef, she shares her wisdom on how you can have your pastry, without feeling guilty.

Why Are They Really Bad?

Besides their effect on weight loss, pastries are higher in fat, which, Pentz-Kluyts says, means they take longer to leave the stomach and digest. “For some riders this can cause gastric discomfort” she says.

But Are They Safe To Eat?

“I wouldn’t necessarily term pastry as healthy,” Says Pentz Kluytz, “But I would aim to use the 80:20 principle of eating.” This principle is a method of eating where you choose healthier food options 80% of the time leaving 20% for what can be seen as ‘cheat meals.’ “this makes a treat like pastry, as part of an active lifestyle, quite acceptable”

When Should We have them?

Because of the gastric discomfort that can come from having pastry, this higher fat snack option will work better post-ride. Pentz-Kluyts does point out that moderation is crucial, especially if weight loss is a goal. “I never tell cyclists to avoid anything, they need to learn how to eat a food and enjoy it without fear of overeating it.”

What Are The best Pastries For Cyclists?

“Fruit Cake is a great option as an on-the-bike snack for longer rides.” Pentz-Kuyts says. This may sound strange, but the term pastry actually includes any dough-formed baked product. She also suggests quiche, for the added protein, and high carbohydrate pastries like English muffins, regular muffins, crumpets, scones and pancakes. “Add some jam, honey or syrup and this could be a great way to fuel up before a race, or replenish after”

READ MORE ON: nutrition