GearTackle Any Adventure With Ease With The New Land Rover Explore!
Does getting lost in the mountains sound like just the adventure you need? Then it’s best you start packing that never-ending list of gadgets cyclists need. A cellphone, charger, GPS tracker and camera are just a few of the items riders cannot do without, but packing all these can be very stressful. Thanks to Land Rover, things are about to change!
Introducing Land Rover’s Explore Outdoor Phone
Every adventurer’s dream just landed in SA – the new Land Rover Explore Outdoor Phone was launched in January and offers long-lasting battery life, plus consolidates all gadgets into one device.
Jamie Ramsay, a British Endurance Adventure Athlete, explains why he believes the Land Rover Explore is the all-round perfect phone for outdoor activities. “I’ve been looking for a device that I can use in the outdoor environment that is going to be able to deliver all the things I need it to do. Battery life is the Holy Grail when you’re on an adventure. You want a phone that’s going to be able to outlast you and whatever you’re doing. The Explore brings not only a huge battery but also the Adventure Pack giving additional battery capacity. That’s revolutionary for me – not having to worry about always charging my phone.”
“Increasingly on adventures I’ve been finding that I have to bring more and more equipment: a camera, a phone, a GPS unit, a navigation device. What the Explore does is bring all of that together into one unit, meaning I just have one device I need to charge and carry with me.”
At the heart of the Land Rover Explore is a powerful 4000mAh battery that gives two days of typical use, or a full day of activities, with constant GPS Navigation mapping activated on the 5” HD display. Battery life can also be doubled by adding the phone’s Adventure Pack while on the go.
The Adventure Pack, which comes included with the phone, can replace the need for a separate GPS device with its GPS patch antenna that improves the reliability and accuracy of the GPS. It also adds an additional 3600mAh of battery power and topographic mapping with Skyline augmented reality, courtesy of ViewRanger. The Land Rover Explore withstands everyday use outdoors with exceptional durability. It is drop tested to 1.8 metres. It can survive underwater – including in salt water, complies to IP68 rating, and can cope with extreme temperatures, thermal shock, humidity and vibration exposure. This level of protection ensures the device can survive heavy downpours or a muddy trail and will continue to work, keeping users connected at all times.
Why you want it!
In addition to pure convenience, the specifications of the phone are phenomenal!
- Huge battery (4000mAh) plus add-on battery packs
- IP68 splash, water and dust resistance
- Drop-proof to 1.8 metres with factory fitted screen protector
- Off-road topographical mapping options from ViewRanger with Augmented Reality Skyline feature
- Customisable Outdoor Dashboard to access to the most important weather information, sensor data, and on-device tools for your activity: for example, weather, wind, tides, compass, SOS light, etc.
- Android™ ‘Nougat’, with scheduled upgrade to ‘Oreo’
- 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM, expandable via microSD™
- Deca-core 2.6GHz 64-bit MTK Helio X27 chipset
- 16 MP Rear camera, 8MP front camera, 4 x digital zoom
- Bright 5-inch FHD display, Corning ® Gorilla® Glass 5 protected, optimised for outdoor use
o Touchscreen can be controlled with gloves on or with wet fingers
o Night red filter mode reduces screen glare, preserving natural vision in low light and at night
- LTE Cat 6
- Curated apps and content catalogue relevant to outdoor pursuits
Adventure Pack Specification
- 3600mAh additional battery
- 25 x 25mm Ceramic Patch GPS antenna
- TPU Protective case
- Stainless steel carabiner with canvas strap
- IP68 and 1.8 metre drop tested
Bike Pack Specification
- Bike mount and case for both stem and handlebar
- Tilt to adjust viewing angle or change device orientation
Since it’s unveiling in January at ISPO, the world’s largest sports trade show, the Land Rover Explore has completely impressed the outdoor community. It’s already won an various awards, and is guaranteed to make adventure fun again!