5 Reasons Greg Minnaar is the G.O.A.T.
He might be 35 years old but Greg Minnaar is showing no signs of slowing down any time soon. The South African scythed his way down a wet and gnarly Fort William track to record World Cup win number 20 and cement his status as the G.O.A.T. (The Greatest Of All Time). – By Aaron Borrill
Here’s why we think he’s the Greatest South African Cyclist of All Time:
1. Consistency. It’s not often you see a flustered Greg Minnaar. Unlike some of his hot-headed rivals, his composure and calculated approach to cycling has played a key role in his success behind the bars, and has no doubt also helped with his longevity in the sport.
2. He’s a visionary. Minnaar spearheaded the development of the 2017 Santa Cruz V10 29er bicycle – a move that has subsequently forced all rival teams to follow suit or get left behind.
3. Most wins. Ever. 3 World Cup Titles. 3 World Championships. 20 World Cup wins. Still a doubter? Thought not.
4. He’s an All Rounder. Minnaar’s superb skill set and muscular physique means he’s not only a deft hand on the trickier World Cup circuits but also phenomenally powerful on the faster, less technical courses too. That said, he’s not a one-trick pony – the G.O.A.T. has also completed two Absa Cape Epics!
5. He’s a Rock star. He’s one of the genuine characters of the sport – what you see is what you get, no facade here. Not only is he known for partying hard, his over-the-top style when it comes to celebrating a win with his Syndicate team has endeared him to fans all over the world. Plus he’s rumoured to use his bathroom as a wash bay for his bikes!