FIRST LOOK: Peruzzo Pure Instinct 2 E-Bike Rack
Peruzzo is an Italian manufacturer of bike transport and storage solutions, and while it is new to the South African market the firm has a long and respected history in Europe. Founded in 1972, its first products were chain covers for bicycles, soon becoming leader in this sector in Europe through innovation, creativity and focus on quality. The arrival of mountain bikes in the 1980s was the catalyst for Peruzzo to expand into new product sectors, especially car cycle carriers. Today Peruzzo is recognised as a European leader in the production of 100% made-in-Italy quality products, very much focused on the needs of cycling tifosi the world over.
The two-bike carrier shown here – the Peruzzo Pure Instinct – is specifically designed to carry two e-bikes, with a total carrying capacity of 60kg and a set of lengthening wheel guides to support the longer wheelbases some pedal-assist machines come with. It clamps to a standard 50mm towball, and plugs into modern 13-pin trailer plug systems, with an adaptor for the older 7-pin included and available to order.
The Peruzzo folds up into a compact unit for storage in your boot (yes, bike racks get stolen off the back of cars all the time) or in the garage when not in use, and folds out super-simply when it is time to use it. Bikes are clamped on the top tube, with plenty of rubber padding to avoid scratches and other damage, while the wheels are strapped down in the generous tyre guides, which will hold up to 3.5-inch tyres. The unit comes with an additional peace-of-mind strap, as well as a lock to keep the bikes secure(r) at traffic lights and stop streets. Not for leaving your bikes on when you are away from the car – please!
Fitting the rack to the towball is a breeze, with the long-levered action making it easy to generate the solid ‘clank’ that indicates you are ready to roll. The foot-operated tilt function allows you access to most boots without having to crawl over the back seats, and un-tilts with another satisfying ‘clank’. Every aspect of the Peruzzo, actually, is solid and confidence-inspiring – this is a rack borne of function, with some Italian styling, rather than a supermodel that looks like it might do the job. Even the minor assembly out of the box is simple.
With the festive breaks almost upon us, keep an eye on the website towards the middle of December for a full review, once we have put the Peruzzo Pure Instinct 2 through its real-world paces.
- Safely carry two bikes (up to a combined weight of 60 Kg).
- Pre-assembled, fast and easy fitment to a 50mm towball with quick release system.
- Easy access to the boot even with bikes mounted thanks to the foot operated tilting function.
- Suitable for carrying a wide range of bike sizes from 14″ to 29″ including e-Bikes and Fatbikes.
- Additional safety strap can be used around bike frames.
- Complete with folding rear light board and 13-Pin plug.
- Folds for easy storage both at home or in the car boot.
- Securely locks to your car with 2 keys supplied.
- Cable lock supplied to secure bikes to the carrier.
- Certified with Full European Homologation
The Peruzzo lineup is available exclusively through a national dealer network.